Welcome 2018 Campus Safety Conference Speakers!
Thank you once again for agreeing to participate in this year's conference. We are pleased to provide you with this speaker guideline/kit. It includes everything you need to know as a speaker including the presentation template, deadlines, hotel and other important information. Please click each category for more details.
Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Friday, March 30, 2018
Video Teaser OR Google Hangout Interview
OR Google Hangout Interview
Friday, April 6, 2018
Article for Campus Safety Magazine
Friday, June 15, 2018
Final Presentation Due
Registration, Passes & Discounts
You do not need to register yourself! A Campus Safety team member will take care of this for you.
All speaker's registration fee will be waived (Save $599).
Includes the conference sessions, panels, hot topic meetups, receptions, meals and sponsor showcase.
Pre-Conference (Optional Add On)
The day before the conference, there will be two pre-conferences taking place for just $49 ($99 value)!
For information about the pre-conferences, please click here.
To register for one of the pre-conferences, please contact Olivia Roma.
As a token of our appreciation for your participation in this year's conference, we are pleased to provide you with one complimentary guest pass to the conference. Please note, this code can’t be used towards the pre-conferences, previously registered attendees and/or combined with other discounts.
Invite your friends and colleagues to the conference! Provide them with the registration link and the VIP code spkguest18 to SAVE $300 off the full registration price.
Please note, this code can’t be used towards the pre-conferences, previously registered attendees and/or combined with other discounts.
Speaker & Presentation Guidelines
Breakout sessions will be set in rounds with 8-10 people per table.
We will provide a podium and barstool for your convenience.
Please note: Setup is subject to change.
Click here to access the PowerPoint template.
Speaker MUST use this template and the pre-set slides.
Please refer to the notes section at the bottom of each slide for helpful tips.
Click the view tab at the top of the speaker template, then slide master OR right click any slide and click on the layout option to see a choice of slide options for you to choose from.
* Attendees will have access to a locked pdf copy of the final presentation on-site and after the event.
Campus Safety will provide the following:
- Screen (16:9 ratio)
- Wireless remote/slide advancer
- Wifi - Please avoid relying on this during the presentation for articles, videos etc. as there could be bandwidth issues on-site. Should your presentation require an additional source, we recommend that you embed this into the presentation.
Please see important information below as it will have an impact on the preparation and execution of your session.
- Please bring your own laptop as we will not be providing one.
- PC Laptop: All necessary cables to connect to the projector will be provided for you.
- MAC Laptop: Please bring a VGA cable to connect your MAC to the projector – we will NOT have MAC cables available.
- We DO NOT print any documents for the presentation. Should you have a document be provided to attendees (via print or electronically) it must be reviewed and approved by the Campus Safety Team. It will be the speaker's responsibility to provide supporting documents, if applicable, for their session.
- Beginning of Presentation: Please allow 2 minutes for introduction and housekeeping slides.
- End of Presentation: Please allow 10-15 minutes for Q&A.
- Overall Time: Please refer to your speaker agreement and the schedule on the amount of time you have for your session.
- In order to maximize the attendee experience, it is important that all sessions stay on schedule. When doing a dry run of your presentation, please make sure that you have enough time to deliver the presentation within the agreed time slot.
Creating the Presentation
- Speaker MUST use this template and the pre-set slides.
Be creative! Add images, videos or polls to keep your audience engaged.
- Take advantage of the slide options instead of havin the same template for every slide! To do this, click the view tab at the top of the speaker template, then slide master OR right click any slide and click on the layout option to see a choice of slide options for you to choose from.
- You may provide handouts i.e. an article to attendees during your session. Just make sure we review it to ensure that it is appropriate. Please note it is the speaker's responsibility to provide handouts, if applicable, to attendees.
- Attendees will have access to a locked pdf of the presentation on-site and after the conference.
- If you plan to have videos in your presentation, please embed them instead of relying on the wifi as there could be bandwidth issues on-site.
- When creating your presentation, please keep this in mind: Create one slide for every 3 minutes of the presentation.
- Refer to your session description and learning objectives to ensure that you stay on topic.
- Take advantage of the notes section in PowerPoint if you can't fit all of the content in one slide. It is available for you to take advantage of.
- Don't forget to reference outside sources, if applicable.
Preparing for Execution
Execution is key! Whether you have presented at one or more than fifty conferences, you must be prepared to deliver your session. Here are some tips and tricks to guide you to success!
- Conduct a dry run of your presentation. When doing the dry run, time your presentation to ensure that you are staying on schedule.
- For all speakers: Watch the TED Curator Chris Anderson on How to Give a Killer Presentation.
- For moderators and panelists: Watch Scott Kirsner, Innovation Economy Columnist for the Boston Globe on How To Moderate a Panel Like a Pro.
Social Media & Marketing
Connect with us on social media so we can connect and help each other promote your session and use the #CSC18 and #WhatYouDoMatters
Don't forget to use the #CSC18 and #WhatYouDoMatters
We have created custom images and logos just for you to use when marketing the conference!
Please click here to download the customized images and logos for all three conferences.
Another great way to promote your session and the conference is to e-mail your friends and colleagues. We have created an e-mail for you to use to promote your session.
Click here to download the sample e-mail, update the fields highlighted in yellow, then start promoting your session!
If you prefer to create your own e-mail, please be sure to include the following:
- I'm Speaking At Logo shown above
- Campus Safety Conference Logo
- Registration Link
- VIP Code spkguest18 to save $300 off the full registration price.
- Please note, this code can’t be used towards the pre-conferences, previously registered attendees and/or combined with other discounts.
- Dress code is business casual.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your session to set up and test the AV and presentation.
- A room monitor in the room to ensure that we stay on schedule.
- Attendees will be required to complete an evaluation for each session. The data from your session will be compiled and e-mailed to you after the conference. Please assist us in gathering feedback by encouraging attendees to complete the evaluation.
- Most importantly, enjoy your session!
Hotel, Travel & Things To Do
July 18 - 20, 2018
Hyatt Regency Dulles
2300 Dulles Corner Boulevard
Herndon, VA 20171
Amenities/NotesGuestroom includes wifi and outdoor self-parking (based on availability) and airport transfers.
Hotel rate is subject to applicable taxes and fees i.e. resort fees.
There are limited rooms available at this special rate and could sell out before the deadline. Please book your room as soon as possible to avoid this.
IMPORTANT: We do not work with third party vendors. Should a third party reach out to you, do not proceed and contact us immediately.
MAKE YOUR HOTEL RESERVATION NOW!
Call (703) 713-1234 and mention Campus Safety
Click here to reserve online.
Make your hotel reservation before the rooms sell out!
Cut-Off Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Accommodations must be booked before the deadline listed.
Discounted rates could sell out before the deadline as there are limited rooms available. Make your reservation as soon as possible to avoid this.
Cancellation Policy: Before 4:00 pm 48 hours prior to arrival.
Reservation Policy: Please provide a credit card upon booking to guarantee your reservation.
Traveling by Ground
The hotel offers complimentary shuttles from the Dulles International Airport to the hotel and nearby hotspots in Reston, VA.
The IAD Shuttle leaves from the hotel every 30 minutes beginning at 4:15 am through 12:15 am.
The shuttle picks up at the airport every 30 minutes from 4:30 am ending at 12:30 am.
The airport pick up location is curbs 2A and 2H, in lower baggage claim.
The Reston Town Center shuttle departs from the Hotel each day at 4:45 pm, 6:45 pm, and 8:45pm.
Complimentary outdoor self-parking is available at the hotel.
For directions, methods of transportation etc., please click here.
Things To Do
Fairfax County is filled with interesting places to explore and lots of fun things to do. Discover exciting Northern Virginia activities surrounding the Hyatt Regency Dulles, like Shenandoah National Park, more than 80 wineries, vineyards and breweries, the local championship golf course and a variety of art galleries, urban villages and walking tours. Take a short Metro ride to DC and check out popular landmarks, museums and national monuments. Or hop on the free shuttle to Reston Town Center and enjoy a day of shopping. Make sure you take the time to enjoy this historical area!
Click here to see local dining and attractions near the hotel.
Also, click here for further information on local attractions to take advantage of while you are in Herndon.